To obtain or renew a Thai driving license, you have to go to your nearest Land Transport Office.

Please note that the required documents can vary according to the local offices. To be sure of what you need, we recommend that you give them a phone call and ask beforehand.

However, generally, the documents you need are:
- If it is the first time you are applying, a signed photocopy and a translation of your national driving license, if you have one.
- If it is for a renewal, your Thai driving license.
- A signed photocopy of your passport (front page and visa page).
- A medical certificate (can be issued at any hospital or clinic for 50 to 100 bahts).
- A proof of address (yellow book if you have one, or letter from your embassy or from a police station stating your place of residence).

If you want to apply for both a motorbike permit and a car permit, make two sets of the photocopies.

Usually photographs are not needed anymore, as they now use a digital version, so they take your picture at the Land Transport Office.

If you can’t speak Thai, it is recommended that you also bring along your favorite long-haired translator!

The usual procedure is as follows:
- Arrive at the office in the morning, fill in an application form and sumbit your documents.
- Pay the fee (105 baht for a one year license, 525 baht for a five year license).
- If you already have a national driving license, you don’t have to take an actual driving test or the written test about regulations.
- You do need to take the color test, and in some cases, two other types of tests.
- During the time when they make your permit, you may have to attend a class where they show you a DVD with a few basic things about traffic laws (like types of roads, types of vehicles… but nothing about courteousness and very little about safety !).

Then you receive your permit. The first time you apply, the permit is only valid for one year. After one year, you can renew it for five years (provided you have a non-immigrant visa).

Did you apply for a driving license and experienced something different that we stated on this page? Would you like to share a report of how it went at your local Land Office? Please let us know! Thank you for your help.

  1. Whittingham. Richard Reply
    My yearly motor bike Licence ran out on the 4 th aug this year,at that time I was in Cambodia and I. had just returned is this going to cause problems.....thank you
  2. Suthep Reply
    Hi Richard, no there won't be any problem at all. The worse that can happen is that they ask you to take the writing tests again, but I think it happens only if your licence has been expired for a very long time, at least several months. Please let us know how it went when you do the renewal.
  3. David Hoyle Reply
    Can a foreigner obtain a moter bike licence in Pattaya with only a Tourisr Visa ?
    • BeerChang Reply
      Yes its possible i did it also on a tourist visa 2 years ago.
  4. Kenny Reply
    When you say proof of address is that proof of address in Thailand or my home in the US? If that is true about my home in the US my drivers license from the US has my address on it would that be sufficient? Because I am not working for anyone in Thailand I have hired company and Thailand but I just stay with girlfriend when I come to Thailand at her apartment
    • Suthep Reply
      We mean in Thailand. Immigration can issue a letter.

Leave a Reply


captcha *